Author Topic: Good vs. Bad calls  (Read 5486 times)

Mr.Green

Good vs. Bad calls
« on: February 23, 2010, 09:49:32 PM »
How do you choose what type of calls to buy. I am brand new and looking to obtain the basics before next season.

Meadowmucker

• NJWA Trustee
  • Administrator
Re: Good vs. Bad calls
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 11:39:33 AM »
I am brand new and looking to obtain the basics before next season.
Mr Green:  You should attend the NJWA New Waterfowlers Clinic that we hold each year in October.
Here's last years in the Forum's Calendar of Events ...  http://njwa.org/smf/index.php?board=15.0

As for calls, NJWA sells DJ calls.  They are in our opinion, the best and reasonable costing.  Visit our booth at the Tuckerton Show in September
Regards
John

Mr.Green

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:06:44 PM »
Meadowmucker,
 Thanks for the reply. Count me in for the clinic. I am trying to become as educated as possible and that would be a huge help. As for the calls do you reccomend mallard calls? Drake or Hen? does it really matter wood vs, others. I would like to get a call and practice before the season.Any and all help is appreciated.

blackduck

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 10:50:54 AM »
mr green just find a call that you are comfortable using, if you go to cabelas they will let you test the call out, comfort is key

Mr.Green

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 06:44:43 PM »
Thanks Black duck. I'll do that. Does it matter if it is a drake or hen? What is a reasonable price? I have seen $19-$140. Thanks again.

blackduck

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 07:43:53 AM »
I personally use both drake and hen calls, most people use hen calls, hen calls are louder and heard more commonly, i use the hen call to get the ducks attention and to get them in close, then i use the drake call as a confidence call to work them in close

also two call recomendations for hen calls Primos Yo sista and Faulks makes a great hen call for making feeding chuckles both well priced calls

as for drake calls any basic duck whistle will work just fine

Mr.Green

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 06:07:54 AM »
Thanks black duck. That is s big help. I'm going to try to go to cabelas but I just saw that it was 2 hours away. Your advice was exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

fishex99

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 12:31:01 AM »
Thanks for the info. It is very useful.