Author Topic: Brant recipes?  (Read 23426 times)

Anas rubripes

Brant recipes?
« on: November 06, 2007, 09:34:22 AM »
Does anyone have a good recipe for cooking brant? 

Most people say they taste awful but if I'm going to shoot them I'm going to eat them, we wouldn't want to anger the duck gods by not doing so.  For that matter, do divers taste bad? :-X

Brigbill

Re: Brant recipes?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 11:04:47 AM »
I haven't found any luck cooking Brant.  I was told that any jerky recipe would work using Brant.  If you find any luck,  please share.  Good luck. 

Meadowmucker

• NJWA Trustee
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 10:36:42 PM »
... just soak the brant overnight in buttermilk and then use any of your favorite duck or goose recipes.  The Lactose in butter milk does wonders to the meat.  Same goes for mud hens and snow geese!
Regards
John

DUCKDOG71

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
I make jerky out of them or put them in a crock pot of chili for the day.

dberry78

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 05:49:54 PM »
Most of what i shoot in my spot is brant, and i eat em all the time.  my recipe consists of throwing shallots chopped onions and garlic in some olive oils along with some fresh thyme and poultry spices. reduce some port wine or something similar, some sort of heavy cooking red wine in a small saucepan.  Brown the Brant in the garlic onion shallots and oil, then pour in the reduced wine and turn down the heat and let it slow cook for bout 20-30 min.  Comes out incredible.

blackduck

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 08:33:15 PM »
Pulled Brant

Breast out four brant

throw the brant in a crock-pot with an onion (quartered), 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce, 1/2 cup vinegar, and some garlic, hot sauce, and chili powder.  Cook this for about 3 hours or until the meat can easily be pulled apart.

Then remove the brant breasts from the crock pot and put them in a seperate pan.  Pull the breasts apart.  Remove about 1/2 cup of the liquid from the crock pot then add the brant meat back in with some more BBQ sauce.  Heat this back up and enjoy

Best when eaten on a kaiser roll with some cole-slaw

This is great and you can use any type of waterfowl (including Coot)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:12:00 PM by blackduck »

Johnson R

Best Recipe
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 09:13:13 PM »
I soak brant breasts in milk for about an hour after poking them with a fork...then i put long strips of the breast in italian dressing for an hour...after that you can wrap the breast strips with bacon and cook them on the grill until the bacon is done...this is the best brant recipe you'll find...

Olbarney

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 01:37:15 PM »
Soak them in A salt water brine for 2 days , changing the water every 6 - 8 hrs . Get as much of the blood out of the meat as possible.

Pound them out and soak in a steak marinade overnight .

Cut up and cook a pound of bacon .

Remove the bacon leavng the grease .

Flour and Chicken fry the brant in the bacon grease .

After brown and crispy , remove and in same pan make bacon fat gravy , adding flour and a stick of butter to the bacon grease . Add pepper , about a table spoon and mix unitl thickened .

Pour gravy over chicken fryed brant and enjoy . Very good . important to marinade in a good steak marinade .
Captain Matt
Ol' Barney Guide service

blackduck

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 05:21:37 PM »
Are you trying to give us all heart attacks?
Actually that sounds really good.

Olbarney

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 02:07:10 PM »
Are you trying to give us all heart attacks?
Actually that sounds really good.

You certainly have to walk it off for the next few days . Or , your friends can eat it , and you can use the left over bacon for a salad ! Fresh bacon bits , yumm . Or use it pasta salad etc. Bacon , is there anything it cant do ?  ;D
Captain Matt
Ol' Barney Guide service

Meadowmucker

• NJWA Trustee
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 04:43:31 PM »
Brant eating eel grass are sweet as a dabbler.  Once they arrive in Jersey and start feeding, it is usually on sea lettuce
Way to determine what they have been feeding on is:  pull down the lower beak - stick your nose up next to the mouth - squeeze their stomach.
Sour Smell?  Sea Lettuce!  Sweet Smell?  Eel Grass!

So take the bird(s) and soak them overnight in butter milk if they have been feeding on sea lettuce.  Butter milk has a high amount of lactic acid (Lactose) and will take any odor out of the meat.
  I do the same with snows and mud hens
Regards
John

blackduck

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 05:41:49 PM »
Sounds like an interesting way of finding out what they eat but im not going to take the risk.

bogman

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 10:25:53 AM »
Duck's Unlimited put out a great recipe for a waterfowl (or duck) stew about two years ago or so.  We did bufflehead with it and did not get any of the normal fishiness.  I would highly recommend trying it with other less savory ducks, geese, brant, etc.  If you can't find it on-line, e-mail me and I will find it for you.