Author Topic: Hunting the creeks  (Read 3618 times)

Mr.Green

Hunting the creeks
« on: October 18, 2011, 02:06:03 PM »
Anyone out there hunt the creeks near the delaware river? Mantua, woodbury, racoon or rancocas? I have a canoe and understand the tides can move pretty swift but I was told it is manageable. Any idea on the depth at a high tide? Is low tide better for hunting or high tide? Any info is appreciated.

Charlie D

Re: Hunting the creeks
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 10:03:02 PM »
get a jon boat or something more seaworthy,,,dont risk the Delaware river or its creeks in a canoe

Mr.Green

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 07:29:38 PM »
Is it that bad? Maybe I'll do the early season in the canoe and then just use it to retrieve ducks I the second season.

Charlie D

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 07:13:28 PM »
Check out the tidal change in those creeks,  the tide is ripping through there, you are asking for trouble  in a canoe

Jcarsenault

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »
i've done the big timber in the past in a canoe. But don't go out if the winds are over 15 mph fighting the tide is enough to have to worry about havin any chop. i got myself a boat this year... Much easier!

Sankers

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:35:34 AM »
I'm a pretty big guy and am not a fan of a canoe on a lake.  That being said I have hunted out of them, but you gotta be carefully with that much current and weather.  Not put yourself on a poster for a couple birds.