Author Topic: New to New Jersey duck hunting  (Read 2248 times)

JessePat

New to New Jersey duck hunting
« on: November 22, 2013, 05:31:39 PM »
Hello, I'm new to the forum and new to duck hunting in New Jersey. I live in Pennsylvania and mostly hunt the Susquehanna River and ponds in the area. My brother and I are planning on going down to southeastern New Jersey (near motts creek) in December to hunt and I was hoping to get a little advice on hunting that area. One question is about the types of decoys to put out (I'm not too familiar with what's in that area at that time of year). Another would be some diver hunting tips for down there. We're hoping to hunt backwater in the morning and then divers later. As an out-of-stater, I understand if there's some reluctance about giving me advice but I would really appreciate any and all types of tips for my first new jersey hunt.
Thanks,
Jesse

NJ219bands

• blog
Re: New to New Jersey duck hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 12:23:51 PM »
I hunt near there on foot. There is a huge tide. Many of the creeks and parts of the bay are not navigable on low tide. Learn about blowout tides and moon tides. Stranded waterfowlers died near there. The Forsythe Refuge is nearby. Learn the boundaries. Check out the web site. Hunting is allowed on parts of the refuge. There is a large variety of waterfowl on the refuge. Good luck and be safe.

redman

• NJWA Trustee
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 11:49:52 AM »
You can expect to see broadbills, long tails, buffies for divers around this time of year. Black ducks and gadwalls are another good bet. It is best to hunt the refuge at designated site locations. You can get that info on their website. Be sure to check the wind direction when picking sites.

Good hunting.

JessePat

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 10:44:21 PM »
Thanks for the info. I've been doing a lot of reading about the area and about tides trying to get as prepared as possible. Hopefully all goes well and we can get a couple good hunts in. Thanks again for your help.

Eva

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 11:20:02 PM »
Thanxs for this information...i am also new to new Jersey,,...it helps me alot..

regards
Eva
Worked @vbuycars, providing Cash For Cars In Los Angeles