Author Topic: Brant decoys  (Read 23815 times)

Brigbill

Brant decoys
« on: December 26, 2007, 07:42:18 PM »
I'm looking for some (12) brant decoys.  It seems they are hard to find.  I found some on ebay, they are carry-lites.  What is a good price?  I'm looking for an inexpensive rig, so plastic is probably my only choice. 

HOLYSTEEL

Re: Brant decoys
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 03:06:56 PM »
Cabelas bought herters and they where still making the plastic brant(not foam) check there website to see if they are still making the plastic...same style as a goose but painted as a Brant..HOLYSTEEL
Rock Skipp'n Divers

Brigbill

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 06:39:05 PM »
Thanks holysteel, I'll check it out. 

Brigbill

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 04:48:48 PM »
Holysteel,
I couldn't find plastic Herter's at Cabela's.  I do have six old foam black duck decoys, I am thinking about replaceing the heads with brant or lesser canadian heads and painting them to look like brant.  What do think about the shape and size?

Bukman

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 08:02:30 AM »
Brig
IF the foam blackies are old Herter OVERsized puddleduck bodies, you might be able to make them work. Herters sells brant heads, but they are all erect, not my cupa tea. Knutsons sells plastic brant decoys but their cost is prohibitive. I looked at $22 apiece. The best brant decoy, in my opinion is the E Allan brand. They are made of VERY dense, hard foam. They can be bought in kit form, which would save some $$$. I would definitely spend more than the $22 for plastic to buy these. I own the E Allans. Brant decoys are easily shot because of the approach of the livies. The E Allans can take it. With the limits at 2 birds a day, I only use 8 -15, depending where I'm hunting. Hope I helped ya. ;) ???

Charlie D

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 07:39:00 AM »
I got the E Allen heads for $8 a piece.  Check lock stock and barrel

Anas rubripes

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 09:40:16 PM »
They guy that sells them on Ebay bought all of the remaining water keel decoys from Carrylites Italian company, all 73 dozen or something crazy like that.  They are the same as the weighted keel decoys at Kunston's.  I had watched them on ebay since early summer and the best price they ever went for was $66 a dozen but I haven't seen any of them go for that cheap for a while.  It seems as they he sells them "Buy it Now" only.  I've hunted pretty much all of the rbant I shot over them and they look realistic.  Do remember that they are Carrylites, meaning that the paint falls right off and you'll probably need to repaint in a few years.  Fun summer project though.  Just my two cents.

Brigbill

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 02:00:35 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the reply and the info.

LISELLACALLS

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 04:32:28 AM »
I am looking for decent cheap brant decoys too. If anyone finds any let me know please.

Lisella Duck Calls
Email LISELLACALLS@YAHOO.COM to contact me.

Meadowmucker

• NJWA Trustee
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 06:19:37 PM »
Regards
John

LISELLACALLS

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 08:28:33 PM »
Thanks, They are kind of expensive for a cheap decoy though. I was looking at Toledo decoys. But was wondering if anyone had any used brant cheap. I think those plastic ones from knutsons look really cheap.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 07:31:42 PM by LISELLACALLS »

LISELLACALLS

Brant decoys
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 03:23:18 PM »
Guys, I got my brant in from Toledo Decoy. They look good. He charges $225 a dozen for them. Very nice. They are burlapped with ( i think e allen heads)
You might want to check them out.

cedarcreek sam

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 08:27:04 PM »
The E. Allen decoys are good.  I've replaced many of the heads on my old Herter's foam brant with Allen heads and they're much more realistic and durable.  The Herter's heads were too tall, canada goose like, and made of brittle plastic with a plastic plug that broke too often (where the screw came in from the bottom).

Burlap covered foam is far more durable (not that I haven't gotten over 20 years of use from the straight foam) and I have a few, and they're even resistant to being shot by HOLYSTEEL himself (heh!), at least I think it was him and not Pete.

I think I'd buy the Allen or the ones from Knutsen's if I were setting up a rig now.  Lighter plastic has a lot to offer over time and you can repaint them pretty easily.

Bayboy

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 06:41:14 PM »
I probly have some foam herters in my barn i don't use need alittle work leave me a message and next week when i come back from shoor i'll contack you

Frodoro

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 10:49:35 PM »
There are available brant decoys in eBay now. They have posted different kinds of brant decoys at very affordable price. You may be able to see here what you need.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 12:33:37 PM by Frodoro »