Author Topic: All around dog  (Read 10317 times)

Brigbill

All around dog
« on: January 24, 2008, 02:17:50 PM »
I am thinking about getting a gun dog.  I hunt upland, and ducks from the salt marshes and would like to train an all around dog.  A Lab is too big and I am thinking about a Brittany.  I would appreciate any and all replies.  Thanks.

Honkers41

Re: All around dog
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 03:41:51 PM »
Why not a German shorthair pointer.....i had  them for 15 years...one of  the best all around  dogs....!! Honkers41

caglatz

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 05:14:13 PM »
Some labs only grow to 45-50 lbs. and are quite capable. You might want to reconsider. I'm partial to labs - but good luck in whatever you choose. A lot of guys like the Brittany Spaniel.

Walkman

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 07:04:58 PM »
If you get a Lab that meets the standard he will be about the same size as a Brittany butwill make water retrieves in 30 degrees or less

blackdog1

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 09:33:46 PM »
I have a lab she is 7 years old now and people still ask how old is your puppy.  And thats after 9 pups.  She ways 58lbs soaking wet with a canada in mouth.  She's small and compact and all muscle.  I kept one pup who is 2 and she is even smaller.  2 of my friends bought males from me and those boys are huge tall and all muscle but look just like mom in their face and ears.  It just all depends on what you get. I would go with the lab.  Mine duck, goose, pheasant, and quail hunt.  Dont get me wrong brits are good Ive had both all my life, But I love my lab.

JimB

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 07:18:49 AM »
I would go with a Lab. Labradors are not the most popular dogs in the country by mistake. Allthough the other breeds are all good dogs as well, I don't believe they are as versatile. I've seen some great GSP's and Brit's but few of them had the whole package. I see plenty of GSP's who won't move on point unless you pushed them over, but they might not retrieve and that's upland. Labs seem better suited to deal with cold water too. Their coats repel water and they can handle the elements a little easier in my opinion. If your interested in finding out about the pointing labs you may want to check out americanpointinglabs.com. Dogs of any breed are fantastic, you just need to take the time to choose what breed compliments your lifestyle and family the best and certainly a GSP or Brit would be a great  dog if it suited you. Good Luck, he or she will be your best friend for the next dozen years or more.

Muddyruner

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 11:18:44 AM »
There is a breeder in Tennesee who started a smaller breed of labs PM ne if your interested.

fishex99

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 09:16:12 PM »
Thanks for the info. It is very interesting. ;)

atrick315

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »
check out a wired hair griffon.  I like to upland hunt and also like to hunt the bayfront meadows.  they are a medium size dog and love the water.

Kristina

• Best Price Mattress
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 11:37:56 PM »
yes... Their coarse double coat protects them in rough cover and gives them an unkempt appearance. It can be a variety of colors, most often steel gray with brown markings. but their looks are not that good.

Regards
Kristina
associated with company providing
Best Price Mattress